Monday, February 13, 2006

Jeremiah's Burden

A friend and I were recently talking about how God leads us in our writing and other areas of life such that our ideas just *seem* to come from nowhere. I thought about how those ideas come gushing forth and can't be suppressed. It reminded me of Jeremiah's message, only his message cost him much turmoil.

O Jehovah, You have deceived me; yea, I was deceived. You are stronger than I, and You have prevailed. I am in derision all the day; everyone laughs at me. For whenever I speak, I cry out, I proclaim violence and ruin; for the Word of Jehovah has been to me a reproach and derision all the day. And I said, I will not mention Him or speak any more in His name. But His Word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary of holding in, and I was not able. (Jeremiah 20:7-9, LITV)

It's interesting to note in this context that the Hebrew word for "utterance" or "oracle" is the same as "burden". So, when Jeremiah was speaking the message of the Lord, it was truly a burden.

Has God ever given you a burden to speak an unpopular message or do something that might invite others to make fun of you? How did you know it was from God? Could you hold it back? What happened, if anything?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home