Friday, March 17, 2006

Lessons in the Tree

As a mom of two young children, sometimes I just have to steal my moments with God. Today, I took a few moments to just close my eyes and sing a praise song in my heart as my younger daughter played before me in the floor. When I opened my eyes, I was drawn to look to the window where I noticed something I'm certain had been there all day, maybe longer, if only I'd taken time to look. After a relatively mild winter, buds, some even dotted with a hint of green, have begun to form on the weeping cherry just outside our front window.

I went through my afternoon thinking about that most welcome sight, one of the harbingers of spring, and how I'd been too wrapped up in my indoor activities to notice. I think this has more than one lesson for us. Maybe God will reveal something else to you, depending on your situation. Please feel free to contribute!

First, God is always there--just as that tree was there waiting for me to notice its efforts--but we have to adjust our gaze toward Him. Question 1: Have you had your quiet time today?

The second is one that reminds me of a concept I first learned from Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. God is always at work. If we want to join in his work, we need to look around and see where he's already working. Once again, if we're not actively seeking, we may just miss out on a fantastic opportunity. Question 2: Where is God already at work around you?

I discovered the third lesson quite serendipitously as I was thinking about a passage someone shared in one of the Orkut communities:

For as the rain and the snow comes down from the heavens and do not return there, except it waters the earth and make it bring forth and bud, and give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My Word be, which goes out of My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in what I sent it to do! (Isaiah 55:10-11, LITV)

Here, the bud is the fruit of God's Word. Question 3: If someone were to look at your life right now, would they see the buds--fruit yielded by the watering of the Word?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home