Saturday, April 01, 2006

Your Happy Place

In one of my husband and my favorite tv series, the archaeologist arrives at a mining operation to find that artifacts have been dug up and moved to a different location without consulting him. Knowing the scientist's passionate feelings about this, his superior advises him, "Go to your happy place." He doesn't blow up--that's not his style--but he makes the best of the situation handed him.

From time to time we all need to get away from life and get alone with God. I have a couple of favorite places in our backyard. One is on the back edge of our property, which backs up to some conservation land. It's a good place to go toward the end of an early spring day to listen to birds and perhaps frighten some deer or some small critter that has contributed to the slightly worn paths through the brush. Later in the season, it gets too grown up, but right now it's perfect for a little conversation with the One who created it all.

My other favorite place is in our field. There's somewhat of a valley there that's far enough away from the road that no one would notice you unless they knew to look. Despite a barn and a couple houses in sight, you can feel like you're out there all alone. This is a good place to go sit on warm, sunny days and let the gentle breeze blow across your skin, as though it's the Holy Spirit Himself kissing your cheek.

I have often thought that one of these days I'd like to take a blanket out there on a clear night to look at the stars. That reminds me of something a friend of mine in college told me that I'll never forget. When we look up at the stars, we can know they're the same ones (give or take a few) Abraham was looking at when God told him how great his seed would be.

The mere thought of these experiences--whether real or imagined--puts me in my "happy place." My breathing slows, my body relaxes. I have an overall sense of peace. A sense that I really can let go and let God. When I feel like stress is creeping up on me, I want to go to my happy place and lay my anxieties on God, not let circumstances get the best of me.

Do you have a place like this? If not, can you imagine one? I'd love to hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home