Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Like Cinderella

Sometimes a lesson comes not because we're in the midst of trial, but because it's better to learn so we can apply it the next time an issue comes up. This week it was time for one of those "easy lessons." I'd never thought about needing an attitude of unconditional forgiveness till I was reminded of the story of Cinderella. . .

One of my daughter's favorite birthday gifts this year has been a copy of Walt Disney's Cinderella, which prompted me to bring up my etext of the traditional story. There are some inconsistencies, as can be expected with traditional stories and movie adaptations, but one of the things that is not different between them is Cinderella's inspiring attitude.

In the movie, Cinderella maintains a gracious, humble attitude despite unjust accusations. The written story praises her for her ability to forgive so completely that it evokes love from her oppressors.

I believe it's no accident this little fairy tale was brought to my attention after more than two decades. I have been reading Beth Moore's A Heart Like His, and one of the focuses of our last week's readings was forgiveness.

As far as I know, I don't have any ongoing forgiveness issues, but I was struck by Jesus' forgiving attitude on the cross. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do . (emphasis mine)"

If people really knew what they were doing when they hurt others, would they do it? Can I forgive them for it before they know to ask for forgiveness? Can I be humble and gracious toward them like Cinderella was in the midst of all the misdeeds?

I don't often find myself being unjustly accused or oppressed, but I surely could use more grace and humility in the face of adversity. And I wish I were so quick to forgive. The quicker I can forgive, the quicker I can be on my way to doing worthwhile things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home