Tuesday, July 25, 2006

An Experiment in Silence

"You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. " (Matthew 12:34-37 ESV)

I've had a sore throat for the last week. Today, in an effort to reduce the wear and tear on my throat, I have made a conscious effort to rest my voice. This is much easier said than done, especially with two little ones in the house. I have had to be very selective about what I choose to say, even resorting to some simple sign language and stern looks to get my point across.

I have caught myself more than once saying things that weren't absolutely necessary, an experience that reminded me of how important it is for us to control our tongue--no matter what level of health we are experiencing.

How many times yesterday or today did you utter a careless word? Do you find it hard to keep your tongue in check?

For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. (James 3:7-10 ESV)

May these words be a reminder to you and me in the days to come.

Do you have any helpful suggestions to share with others about controlling the tongue? You can share them here.

Also check out the companion blog over on BibleStoreBrowser.com entitled Gracious Speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home